Healthy Home Medicine Living
How to Create an Earthworm Farm in 6 Easy Steps from Dehon Joubert
- Get two containers, mine is rectangular and garden shops have them ready-made or be imaginative, the one fits halfway into the other and then has a lid fitting loosely so that the moisture does not evaporate..
- Add earthworms and soil with rotten plant material in top container - this top container has draining holes so that moisture can drip from the top and be collected in the bottom.
- Now you feed your earthworms with veggie peels etc, no citrus - they don't like citrus - so all planty stuff from your kitchen now goes into this farm. The earthworms pull this into the soil and make great compost.As this top container becomes too full you can add some of us great compost into your garden.
- Daily, wet the top with a litre of water. This water is good for the earthworms, they like it wet, and it seeps down to the bottom container taking the earthworms' pee and poo with it - that is called black gold!
- Keep on adding water through the system from the top until the bottom can't take more. Then take the bottom water and pour it into the top container putting the bottom container back soon enough to catch the flow again - this way your black gold becomes stronger - when it is really black you use this diluted in your garden - 1 tablespoon on 6 litres water or stronger - my mom loves to make this dilution stronger - her plants love it too ;-).
- Remember in the top container your earthworms are procreating so you'll see when things get cramped then you let some free into your garden. Thank you, Dehon!
How to Make Compost
Here is a helpful list of how to make your own compost to feed your garden. Click here.