Appreciative Inquiry Healing
"Expect a Miracle"
Dr. Tel Franklin describing how he helps his patients heal using Appreciative Inquiry, and as laid out in his book, "Expect a Miracle". I resonate with the beliefs in his book and support my clients with these tools on the journey to their health and facilitate the Appreciative Inquiry concept in my How To Be Happy workshop. Dr. Franklin's website is http://www.appreciativemedicine.com
Here is what he says in his book to help his patients heal......
The Appreciative View
Accessing the past experiences of happiness and joy literally changes our physiology, the body's chemistry. These biological reactions are activated by your euphoric experiences and is the key ingredient to overcoming life’s challenges and literally creating health from within.
By adopting an Appreciative View of life you begin to activate innate healing systems. The most essential ingredient to achieve optimal wellness in your life is YOU! Healing actually has to begin with you...not things done to you, or for you...it's not a passive process. Your mind set, your focus is essential—and you can choose what you focus on.
In a moment, in the space between these words, the pause between a thought, we can change our lives. We can change in an instant what we focus on, and our entire world, our whole life's journey takes an exciting new turn in the road. This power and the acknowledgment of this strength will change you forever.
The prerequisite to obtaining optimal health in your life? Change your mind set. When you change your focus, you open your life to a whole new world of healing opportunities. This is your first step to creating an optimal wellness plan.
Begin changing your focus, right now, with Dr. Franklin's free Eight Ways to Become Heart Healthy—or read on, below, for more mind- and health-changing tips.
Free Your Mind and Unleash Your Creative Genius
1. Try a "negative fast." This is very simple, yet very difficult. Take a set amount of time...an hour...a day...a week...a month, or even a year. Make a conscious effort to avoid any negative emotions, thoughts, or actions motivated by anger, hostility, greed, envy or jealousy, whether at work, caught in traffic or at home.
2. Spend time in nature every day.
3. Challenge yourself to reframe any challenging situation:
- Think of a person, particular song, a movie or a play that you love. Remember a time when you felt really good, even euphoric. The core of Appreciative Medicine™ is to experience this time over and over again. This emotional experience is key to optimal wellness.
- The next time you feel angry or even hostile, think first: can I reframe this moment, this experience? Do I need to go down the road of "negativity"?
- Emotions that we experience, choose to experience, are key to health and optimal wellness. And here is a huge lesson: we can choose which emotions to experience most of the time!
One Thought at a Time
Three Steps to Euphoria
(1) Turn on your favorite tunes and turn it up!(2) Spend a day in nature—at a park, at the beach, on a lake.(3) Adopt a pet, save a dog or cat at your local SPCA.
Five Steps to Forgive
(1) No matter who is right, say I'm sorry and mean it.(2) Make that phone call. Send that letter.(3) Refuse to gossip!(4) Never hold a grudge.(5) Move on, but learn the lesson.
Five Steps to Begin Anew
(1) Forgive yourself.(2) Make the past a lesson not to be repeated.(3) Put on a fresh face and a new pair of shoes and step out with a new attitude about yourself, as if you discovered the fountain of self-esteem.(4) Life is a journey, this is a new road, be curious and discover a new view.(5) See every challenge as an opportunity to learn the lesson that will change your life.
Turn a Challenge into a Rewarding Experience in Three Steps
(1) Become emotionally detached.(2) Visualize the positive outcome.(3) Know that success is assured.